Wednesday, November 5, 2008

11-5-08: The Day After

Well, that happened. Election Day 2008 is finally behind us. Change is ahead. Change, indeed.

I ended up voting for McCain after all. As Connecticut is not quite a battleground state, it didn't really matter in the end. I wasn't excited about voting for McCain, either. It was just "the lesser of two evils." I hate it when it comes down to that. I was almost jealous of how excited most of the Obama supporters were. However, I wasn't going to jump on that bandwagon just to jump on it. I think there's enough on that wagon as is.

A friend of mine sent me a link to the video below. I think it's pretty interesting, especially some of the points about race. I really wish, of all things, this whole thing didn't break down into a Civil Rights debate. I read Thomas Friedman's column today and was in awe at how he made Obama's victory into such a racial statement. Yes, Barack Obama is the first black President elected to office. That's all well and good, but why is it then so important for people to point this out? Surely all of professional journalism can come up with something more than either: a) the first black President was just elected or b) some one not named Bush will be President for the next four years. Policy discussions, any one?

Anyway, I'm not distraught because Obama won. I saw it coming. I just wish the discussion afterward was a little more centered around the issues at hand and not just about race.

No comments: