Tuesday, November 11, 2008

11-11-08: Good Lebanese Food

First off: Happy Veterans Day. If you have yet to do so (and shame on you if you haven't), go thank a Veteran. It's the least you can do.


I had Lebanese food for the first time tonight, at least since I can remember. I've had Egyptian and various African foods (and some authentic Turkish food), but never Lebanese. I have a friend who works at a great Lebanese spot called Layla's Falafel in Fairfield. He said it was really good, and I had time to kill before my grad class, so I stopped by.

I ordered something called a "chicken shawarma," which includes (obviously) chicken, lettuce, tomato, and this really great sauce. It was amazing. I think I'm going to include this spot more regularly in my pre-class dining in the future. It's right down the street from Fairfield University, and it's not too expensive (not cheap, but overall it's well worth the money at $6 for a really good sandwich). The sandwich comes in wrap form, and is very similar to a gyro. I think the key is in the sauce and how the chicken is prepared. It's really, really good.

If you have access to good Lebanese food in your area, I highly recommend it. And, if you're in the Fairfield area, try Layla's Falafel. Good stuff.

No comments: