Monday, March 17, 2008

3-17-08: Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

I don’t think I have a favorite holiday, but the fact that it’s my saint’s day, I always love it when St. Patrick’s Day comes around every year.

I used to dread St. Patrick’s Day’s dinner when I was a kid, though. I never liked corned beef or cabbage. I always liked potatoes and carrots, though. I’d eat those with no problem. But corned beef always gave me the willies, and I just couldn’t handle cabbage.

But I realized that within the past couple of years, I’ve become quite a fan of these two Irish delicacies. I think it all started when I began liking Reuben sandwiches, which are my favorite of all sandwiches. I’m not talking about those namby-pamby pastrami alternatives, though. I’m talking corned beef, sauerkraut, the whole deal. I don’t mess around when it comes to Reubens. When I was the Steward of my Fraternity while in college (in charge of the kitchen), I’d order Reubens on a bi-weekly basis. Some guys hated that, but for some reason I only listened to the compliments. One guy (the Fraternity President) wanted them ordered weekly. I nearly gave in, but you can’t have too much of a good thing.

What I don’t like about St. Patrick’s Day is all the boozing that’s associated with it. I have no problem with tipping back a few, but getting stupid and rowdy has no place in it. It’s just poor taste. “Everybody’s Irish on St. Patrick’s Day” does not mean “Every one can get drunk out of their minds on St. Patrick’s Day.” Be smart, people.

No comments: