Friday, March 14, 2008

3-14-08: Pi Day

I went to a relatively nerdy college, so when I heard it was Pi Day today, I immediately remembered all the kids who wore Pi shirts every March 14th. It's a really goofy holiday, but it's an interesting one.

The difference between Pi Day and most goofy, unofficial holidays is that it is obviously a math joke. I'm sure there are people out there who try to celebrate Euler's Number "e," but that's a tough one since it's approximately 2.72. You'd really have to try for that one. Pi is conveniently a number that can be translated to a date with ease. In fact, it's the only math holiday I know.

I suppose you could try celebrating some bizarre constants, like Planck's, but who would notice? And what exactly are we celebrating on Pi Day? The number itself, or its significance? It's obviously pretty important. Many things wouldn't be as easily constructed if it weren't for Pi. One could easily imagine Pi being as important as some people, but I always like to maintain that a number is just a number. People make it important. So, I'll pay a small homage to Pi Day with this blog post, but I won't hold it in higher regard than any national holiday that celebrates a person.

Happy Pi Day.

No comments: