Wednesday, August 8, 2007

8-8-07

I’m not a big fan of extremely cold weather, but I have to say, I’d much rather have it be freezing cold outside than hot and humid. Last night was brutal, and the rain this morning didn’t help the ol’ commute (30 minute backup on the Merritt). In the winter (except when it snows), all one has to do is turn up the heat. Much easier to sleep.

Well, Barry Bonds finally did it. 756 home runs. Congratulations, Barry, on your accomplishment. You have to wonder where the media hides its soul, sometimes. They must hide it pretty well, because I’m almost convinced certain reporters don’t have souls. After the monumental chase, after intense scrutiny, Bonds was congratulated, then asked “Do you think your record is tainted?” Bonds, of course, said no. Why ask? Why would any person ask some one that on arguably the happiest day of their life, at least their professional life? It’s not like he’s going to say “You know what, now that it’s all said and done, and you’re asking at this moment, I have to say, I do think it’s tainted. I did cheat. I’m sorry.” The media has no soul, I’m almost sure of it.

I just joined “Friends of Fred Thompson.” He’s being called the next Ronald Reagan, and that’s a good thing. America needs a guy like Thompson. He doesn’t come across to me like a professional politician. He’s a pretty laid back guy, who has decent experience in politics. Surveys have been done that asked people if they would trust him based on the roles he has played on television and in film, and most said they would. At first glance, it seems like a really crazy and strange survey. One would hope Americans would look more at his values, but, if you think about it, wouldn’t you rather have a guy who can communicate? Look at it this way, do you think Bush would have a higher approval rating if he were a better public speaker? Most definitely. Would it be much higher? Maybe, but probably not. The point is: your persona makes you human, and people want a human President, not a robot bent on staying in power or playing to party politics. I have yet to donate a dime to Thompson, since he hasn’t officially declared his candidacy, but I might throw a couple bucks at him once he does. His views are pretty solid, and I like his values, and agree with them. Sure, he’s a good actor, but his experience in Congress and his honest approach to solid American values mean a whole lot more.

No comments: