Thursday, August 23, 2007

8-23-07: Cold Humor

It’s been pretty chilly out this week; I think yesterday was the coldest August 22nd in over 100 years. A bit dreary, which I hate to say, but has affected my mood. I’m a fan of a warm summer, because New England can really suck in the winter. Normally at this time of year I’m on Cape Cod, so being at work AND having to deal with a cooler late August isn’t my idea of fun.

But, either way, it opens up the chance for some humor. Here’s a little joke I came up with:

"A news report came out yesterday regarding Al Gore's house, where there was allegedly some frost on the ground due to the recent cold snap. In a statement to the press, Gore acknowledged that it was all just an illusion, and that he wants to wait for all the temperature readings to come in from around the country before making any real judgments regarding the climate."

It needs some polishing. If you don’t get it, just remember the 2000 election and the aftermath, and you’ll get it. If not, it’s a plain old bad joke and simply try to forget that you read it. I tend to come up with “stretch” jokes that are sometimes brilliant, but oftentimes miss completely. I’m all or nothing in my jokes. I also try not to come up with jokes that you can tell your friends. This is usually because most of the jokes are situational humor, but other times it’s because I like to frame the joke in a certain way that makes it difficult for others to tell it right. It’s not on purpose, it’s just how I come up with my stupid jokes.

No comments: