Sunday, September 14, 2008

9-14-08: Oktoberfest

Last night I spent a wonderful evening with some good friends at The Old Heidelberg Restaurant's Oktoberfest celebration. It was an evening of good German song, food, and beverages. Despite the lengthy line towards the end to buy beer, it was a great time.

The thing with Oktoberfest is, even if you're not German, it's a great time. I really want to go to one in Germany one day. That would be incredible: Oktoberfest in Munich. Truly awesome. If it's good in Bethel, Connecticut, I can only imagine how great it is where it was invented.

But last night I had one question on my mind: why is it called Oktoberfest if it is held in September? My German buddy, Dan, then went on to tell me it was supposed to lead UP to October, and was originally a wedding celebration. Then, I went on to Wikipedia, and Dan was pretty much spot on. Good on you, buddy.

I really need to learn the songs and the toasts for next year's celebration.


No comments: