Friday, May 30, 2008

5-30-08: Follow-up on "That's a Great Question"

My buddy Scotty came up with a nice addendum to my previous post on the "That's a Great Question" debacle that seems to be spreading.

He pointed out that the phrase is frequently used when the person answering the "great question" has no idea what the answer could, or should, be. This touches upon a separate issue of people being afraid to utter the horribly embarrassing phrase "I don't know." It's amazing how people will actually bullshit for a minute or two, or more, instead of simply saying "Well, you know what, I don't know the answer. But I will find out." It's almost as though all the talking will make them appear smarter. But, it's usually easy to see through. When they start to use catch phrases and cliches, then you know they're bullshitting.

So, in summary, don't be afraid to just say "I don't know." It's easier than you think.

(Side note): If you're bored and want to try tuning into a truly funny radio show, check out the Tony Kornheiser Show. The guy is really funny. I listen to the podcast at work all the time.

No comments: