Friday, February 29, 2008

2-29-08: Leap Years and the Plight of a Miss Sadie Hawkins

I never know quite what to think about leap years. I know there’s a scientific reason for having them and all that, as it takes roughly 365 ¼ days to orbit the Sun. But… what about the kids? What about the kids born on February 29th? They have to live their whole lives as one big lie. I wonder how many kids were born on February 29th and the parents just lied and said it was March 1st. I think that would be easier than having to deal with the whole “Happy 16th birthday!” at the real age of 64. Imagine your grand-kid doing that to you. That’d be ridiculous.

And what about this whole Sadie Hawkins Day debacle? For the longest time I, for some reason, thought Sadie Hawkins Day was on February 29th. I have absolutely no idea why. I just looked it up on Wikipedia and a couple other websites. Apparently it’s on November 15th. And thanks to Google, I’m not as dumb as I thought. There’s even a website to disprove the great myth. I’m sure that will save lives. It’s good to see people preserve holidays named after fictional characters. That’s important.

Happy Sadie Hawkins Day.

No comments: