Monday, February 25, 2008

2-25-08: The Situation Is…

I saw something briefly at work today on The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer on CNN. It was a discussion between a Hillary Clinton supporter and a Barack Obama supporter, with Wolf as the mediator. I’m not going to say it’s not expected, or that it was deliberately set up, but the Clinton supporter was a white woman and the Obama supporter was a black man.

Let’s just say the discussion wasn’t going to win any of them the Nobel or even the Pullitzer. The questions were set up to generate nothing more than pointless bickering. It was civil, at least for the three minutes I saw of it, but nothing substantial came out of it. I’m not really sure where Blitzer was going with it, but it really didn’t satisfy anything. I’m not disappointed in the media by this, since my expectations are so low. I’m just puzzled as to why they have these pointless discussions in the first place.

I can understand political debates. Those are fine. So long as the real issues are discussed, that is. As soon as personal attacks and simple smear campaign discussions pop up, it gets stupid. I don’t care what party is involved, it just gets annoying. What’s scary is how effective the pointless campaign ads are. It’s really scary.

No comments: