Saturday, February 9, 2008

2-9-08: The Wonders of Modern Pharmaceuticals

I've been out of work for a couple days with what my doctor thinks could be a lung infection. What fun! I had chills, cold sweats, a bad, deep cough, a fever, and bad headaches for a few days, so I figured a visit to the ol' physician wouldn't hurt. One prescription later, and I'm feeling quite a bit better. I'm on some antibiotics, which are pretty damn good.

While waiting at the pharmacy, I read a small pamphlet on the benefits of generic drugs. I've known about them for a while, but I'm not sick all that often, so I've never had to really use them. What a deal! Basically, it's the same stuff you'd take from the name brand companies, only way cheaper. They save money by not having to make up any costs for research and development, which the big name companies did for them. Once those precious patents expire, the generic brands take over. Great deal.

The other nice thing was that I found out my prescription insurance is pretty damn good. I was expecting to pay way more than I ended up paying. Looks like those biweekly premiums are starting to pay off. It's a good thing I don't have a busy weekend planned. Good time to get some rest.

No comments: