Tuesday, October 9, 2007

10-9-07: Coffee Overdose

I read an interesting little article about a girl in northern England who overdosed on coffee. She’s fine, and fully recovered, but you have to admit, that’d be a strange way to go. Coffee overdose.

The girl apparently drank seven double espressos while working at her father’s sandwich shop. Seven. Double. Espressos. After being sent home by her father, probably for a dash of hyper behavior, she came down with a fever and began hyperventilating. After a trip to the emergency room, she was sent home and has had some lingering effects. She now can’t stand the sight of coffee, which I’m sure is a difficult working environment.

A couple funny things came to me while reading the article. The first was the father’s reaction, specifically his quote: “She did not realise she was drinking double measures.

"I have always stressed to my children the importance of moderation but she got caught out on this occasion.”

Now, I’m sure the guy was just busy, or maybe he wasn’t there the whole time, but the fact is: she drank seven coffees in less than a full work day. Never mind “double measures,” SEVEN COFFEES. I’m not addicted to caffeine, but I have had my share of coffee, and if I had three in a morning, I’d be feeling it, and would probably start. It’s not like booze, which can be spread out a little more (except for the hard stuff). Seven double espressos is asking for trouble.

But, the most encouraging part of all of this is that it didn’t happen in America. With all the educational advantages the English claim to have over us (the girl used the word palpitations in the article), they are not immune to dangerous and stupid behavior. That makes me feel all warm inside.

No comments: