Friday, March 20, 2009

3-20-09: St. Patrick's Day

Whoa, busy week, but a good one.

Things started off on Sunday with a fantastic time at the Greater New Haven St. Patrick's Day Parade (see some photos below). With the alcohol consumption before, during, and after the parade, things were quite nice.

The parade itself lasted about three hours, and featured Irish groups from all over the state. Some of the towns I'd never even heard of (Deep River?), and some groups were a little more into it than others. My personal favorite was the New London Fire Department, who did a great job at keeping the St. Patrick's Day spirit alive! A good time was had by all.

After the parade it was off to Anna Liffey's, which featured a big tent out back and a mass of people. I saw two firefighters (one male, one female) making out, which was good to see. By the time we'd gotten to Anna Liffey's, I was already well on my way, as was the lady friend and pretty much every one else. There was a live band, and it was a blast.

Two or three hours later we made our way up to The Playwright in Hamden, where another band was playing and more merriment ensued. To be honest, I remember about half of the time there. I think I talked to a guy about Quebec and France for a while. Apparently he was talking to the lady friend and her friend, but he was a nice older gentleman, so I made friendly conversation with him before he was off. Nice guy.

Before I knew it, it was 11:00PM. Where had the time gone?! Absolutely flew by. Seven hours later I was up and had to start the work week.

On St. Patrick's Day itself, which was on Tuesday, I had a normal work day and class that night. But, I was able to meet up with the lady friend and her friends back up at... Playwright in Hamden. Twice in three days... And I think the bartender recognized me. Some dancing ensued, but the night wasn't nearly as late as on Sunday. Still, quite the time. St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays.

Some photos from the parade:





No comments: