Sunday, August 17, 2008

8-17-08: I Miss the Pizza Industry

When I was 17, I worked at a pizza place. I stayed employed there during school breaks in college, and worked my way up to Manager. Well, I wouldn't quite say full Manager, but close enough. When the owner wasn't there, I was in charge. That's pretty much as Manager as I got.

Most of my job involved the delivery of various pizza-oriented food. Mostly pizza, calzones, and sandwiches. It's a tough job at first, but once you get used to it, it can actually be quite nice. My favorite time to deliver was when it was just busy enough to keep me on the road, but not crazy. I always loved delivering at night when the traffic was low and there was a ballgame on the radio. Nothing quite like it.

Last night, I had to pick something up at Best Buy, and decided afterward to try out a place called Bella Napoli in Stratford. It is owned by the same family that ran the pizza place I worked at; I worked for the manager. I didn't see him last night, but the place looked and smelled almost exactly like the place I worked at.

After taking my food to go (chicken parm sandwich; always a favorite), on my drive home, I thought "I miss the pizza industry." Then, a thought popped in my head: what if I went back in part time? It would have to be during the summer, when I'm minimally busy with school and work. I'd only do it for a couple nights a week, mostly for free food. And, I don't want to do delivery. It's too much wear and tear on my car, and I wouldn't know the roads (meaning I'd need to relearn everything; something I don't want to do). I'd just take orders in-house and help out with the phones and whatnot. My guess is their POS (Point of Sale) system is almost identical to the one I'm used to.

I'll let the thought stew for some time. I wouldn't make any move for almost a year, anyway. My guess is, when next summer comes, I'll have forgotten all about this. Still, it might be fun.

No comments: