Thursday, June 5, 2008

6-5-08: Stanley Cup Champs

It's nice to see the Stanley Cup return to an Original Six team, so I would like to congratulate the Detroit Red Wings on their victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins last night to win the Cup. I don't particularly like the Red Wings, but they played superbly this year and were the most deserving of the crown.

I didn't watch a lot of the series, but I did watch last night's game. I was quite impressed with the overall quality of play, which was refreshing to see. I really hope the NHL gets back on its feet as far as TV ratings and general popularity. I think having two hockey cities in the Stanley Cup Finals was a very good thing, though I do think that if two Original Six teams played, it would have been even better. For those wondering, the Original Six (in alphabetical order by city) are the: Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers, and Toronto Maple Leafs. Until 1967, it was just those teams. Since then, through a series of expansions, we now have professional hockey in places like Tampa Bay, San Jose, and Phoenix. Hockey towns!

The funniest thing, though, is how goofy the winning goal was last night. Zetterberg took a shot from the slot, it trickled through Fleury's legs, then he knocked it in with his ass while lying back to try to cover it. Strange way to win, but there is a saying in sports: "It's not about quality. It's about quantity."

No comments: