Sunday, June 22, 2008

6-22-08: "A lot of run-around for an iPod Shuffle"

It's not often I post a story about something I've done or gone through, but this particular story (which is still ongoing) is semi-humorous:

A few weeks ago I stupidly left my iPod Shuffle in the washing machine. It was a gift from a close friend, and I had it for about a year. I felt pretty bad about it, but I'm keeping it for sentimental value, though it no longer works.

After a week of letting it dry and it not working, I determined that it would probably just be best to fork over the $50 and buy a new one. So, I went onto the Apple Store and ordered a new one. I wanted an exact replacement: Green, 1 GB, with my e-mail address engraved on the back. Nothing too tricky.

A few days later I get an iPod Shuffle in the mail (after waiting an extra day because the package needed an indirect signature). I opened it up, and the color didn't look quite green. It was, in fact, a blue iPod Shuffle. I wasn't really peeved about it, but it wasn't what I ordered, so I called up Apple Support to get a new one. The guy on the phone was great, and told me to just ship back the wrong one and I'd be getting a new one in the mail. So, I packed up the one they sent me and shipped it back (they gave me a shipping label).

A day or so later, I see a charge on my credit card for ~ $50. I wasn't sure exactly why, so I called up Apple to ask if I was in any danger of having to pay the 10% restocking fee. I wasn't expecting to, since it wasn't a return so much as it was a defective item. The guy on the phone, again very polite, told me not to worry about it. On top of that, he told me the iPod Shuffle that was on its way wasn't what I ordered (it had no engraving). I said "No big deal, so long as it's the right color."

Package arrived. I got another blue one. With no engraving.

So I called up Apple Support yet again, and was on the phone with a great guy named Gary, from the Bronx. Gary, who I would guess was in his 50's, was extremely helpful, and almost seemed more upset about me getting the wrong iPod Shuffle in the mail twice than I was! Anyway, after talking to Gary for a while about New York and such, he tells me I can keep the one they sent me and they'd just ship me a new one. I was surprised and delighted.

Then yesterday I get an e-mail with a new shipping label for the (second) blue one they sent me. Confused, I called Apple Support today to find out why they would tell me to keep it and yet send me a shipping label. I spoke with another guy, who was yet again very polite (Apple Support is pretty darn good), who told me not to worry about the charges on the credit card, and that I shouldn't have been charged in the first place. He then told me to ship the one they most recently sent me back, just so I won't get charged for it. As a very kind gesture, he told me Apple would send me another iPod Shuffle. His comment was "Seems to be a lot of run-around for an iPod Shuffle." I laughed and said: "Yep, but I think it's just karma coming back at me for leaving my old one in the washing machine." He laughed.

So, it's been about 10 days, and I'm without my green iPod Shuffle. One can only wonder what I'll be getting in the mail this week. The funny part is, I'm almost enjoying the process in some odd way.

No comments: