Wednesday, June 18, 2008

6-18-08: The Celtics

I'll premise this by saying that I am not a huge basketball fan. I tolerate basketball in short spurts. I watched a bit of the NCAA Tournament and the NBA this season, mostly because the Celtics had a great season. So, if this appears like a bandwagon jumping post, it's because it partly is.

My first memory of seeing a professional sporting event was seeing Larry Bird play at the old Boston Garden with my dad. I was very young. All I really remember is how loud the buzzer was, and that it was constantly going off. But, I loved watching Larry Bird. I would always pretend to shoot like him when I shot hoops. I was, however, very untalented and am a poor basketball player. But I grew up watching the Celtics.

So, when the Celtics won last night, I watched the entire game. It was incredible. I asked my dad, who has followed the team since his childhood (though, like me, not nearly as closely as the Red Sox or Bruins), if he would rather have seen the game stay close, or stay a blow-out. He immediately went for the blow-out score like last night. I tend to agree.

I think the problem with the NBA playoffs is how predictable they are. Well, maybe not the Finals, but a lot of people had the Celtics playing the Lakers for months. With baseball, hockey, and football, you don't always get that. But, playoff basketball is still entertaining, and watching Paul Pierce, who has been in basketball hell for the past few years, finally win, was just great to see. I don't think they'll repeat next year, or in the next few years, but it's still great to see them win again.

It's just too bad the city is so jaded now with winning.

No comments: