Tuesday, June 10, 2008

6-10-08: Habits

I realized that I am indeed a creature of habit. I have my normal routine, like any one else. I have my preferred way of doing things, like any one else. But the really funny thing is to take notice of these routines. It helps keep things in perspective.

Here are a few of the goofier ones (off the top of my head):

-    I get my hair cut every 7 weeks. This stems from my life as an undergraduate. I went to college at WPI, which has terms that last 7 weeks with breaks in between. That's when I would get my hair cut. I just stick to that schedule.
-    I used to (and sometimes still do) only get out of bed at times nearest to a 10 minute increment. For instance, if it is 6:58, I'll wait until 7:00. But, I usually don't wait more than 5 minutes. That's just lazy.
-    I go to the gym on alternating days of the week. I rarely go on consecutive days. This is actually a tip from my uncle, since it's a good idea to give your body a day's rest.
-    I rotate the glass in between sips when I drink (if I'm not using a straw). I never drink from the same spot on the glass on consecutive sips. I have no idea where I developed that.
-    I used to only take an even number of steps in between certain spans while walking. It varied, but I liked to stick to even steps to keep both feet working at equal levels. I think I stopped doing that a few years ago.
-    I don't write the actual date on a check or any business-related document on a Sunday. I'll either write the date of the preceding Saturday or the following Monday. I picked that one up from my grandfather, who said "You can't do business on a Sunday."
-    I wear my socks inside out because they feel more comfortable that way. I stole that one directly from the film Finding Forrester.
-    I never drink soda before noon.
-    I try to avoid drinking coffee on consecutive mornings. I like to alternate that with tea, but it's not a big deal.
-    When dining with people older than me, I usually (though not always) wait until the oldest person is served before eating. This comes from something I was taught growing up in that I couldn't eat until my mother began eating. I still stick to the habit when I eat with my parents.
-    I alternate days that I wash my hair in the shower. I got this one from a good friend who told me it made your hair less oily. I think it just helps save money on shampoo.
-    I slow down in school zones and when I pass a Catholic church. One is because of the law, the other is to remind myself of what one looks like in case I get quizzed when I die.

Are you as crazy as I am?

No comments: