Sunday, April 19, 2009

4-19-09: Packing the T

The lady friend and I were up in Boston yesterday to catch the Red Sox game against the Orioles. We made a stop in Worcester on the way up to visit my Fraternity, who had their annual "Graduate Appreciation Day," which primarily consists of grilling, a little drinking, and softball. With the weather the way it was (sunny and pleasant), it went well. The lady friend and I partook in the softball game, which took place at Beaver Brook Park (or simply "behind State Liquor," which is how the location has been described for years). She and I were on different teams; hers won handily. But, it was fun, and we got some Wachusett Blueberry from nearby State Liquor afterward (you can't buy it in southern Connecticut).

After the quick stopover in Worcester, we headed into Boston. For those unaware of traffic conditions in the city, let me sum it up by saying it is awful. And yesterday featured all three major sports teams playing home games on the same day, two of which were playoff games. The city was pretty packed. Good weekend to be a Boston sports fan. But, driving in was not really a feasible option, so we, like many others, took the T from Riverside. I had bought the tickets to the game (good deal, by the way) through the WPI Alumni office. But the catch was you had to pick them up at the Alumni Reception at Jillian's Boston, which is right across the street from the park. I hesitate to say "catch," though, because it was quite a nice reception. They had pool tables and food, with a cash bar. We had our own room. Nice time, and the lady friend ran into several of her Sorority sisters, which was nice. One of my Fraternity Brothers was there with his wife, too.

The game itself was great. It was a bit cold, but not too bad; game time temperature was 50 degrees. The rain also held off until after the game, which was very nice. The Sox played great, too, especially Youkilis, who went 4 for 5 with a big 3-run home run. Good stuff. Our seats were pretty good: right field box, specifically Section 4, Box 90, Row NN, seats 11 and 12. For $50, not bad seats at all.

After the game, getting back to Riverside was a bit of a chore. The Bruins and Red Sox games, both stirring wins, let out at around the same time. Therefore, the T was being tested. It was absolutely packed. We ended up walking all the way to Copley Square to board the train earlier, which turned out to be a good decision. The poor souls at Kenmore, and more so at Fenway, had to wait for several trains to even get on. We got back to Riverside at around 11:30PM.

The drive home was the toughest part by far. I was very, very tired. But, a quick nap at a rest stop on I-84 helped solve that. Got home a little before 3:00AM. Softball practice this afternoon at 1:00PM helped to wake me up, and I had a very nice day overall.

A good weekend.

Get well, Scotty!

No comments: