Monday, April 13, 2009

4-13-09: Hockey Monday: Frozen Four Finale

Saturday night's National Championship game for Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey was quite a sight. Miami of Ohio took on top ranked Boston University in a bid to upset the Terriers, who were slotted to win their first national championship since 1995.

I got a chance to watch about a period of the game; the first and last 10 minutes. After BU scored first, I figured Miami was cooked. It was much to my surprise to come home from dinner with my parents to see Miami up 2-1 with only a few minutes to go. The last minute was absolutely nuts. BU went down 3-1, and had to pull their goaltender. After a frantic fight in the Miami's zone, BU was able to score to make it 2-1. Then, with only seconds left, they tied it up. Very exciting stuff.

The overtime didn't last too long, and I knew going into it that Miami was done. You don't recover from that sort of shocking comeback late. They were spent, and BU was destined to win it. The winning goal may be kinda goofy, but one thing is for sure: it was one of the best championship games I've seen in years.





No comments: