Friday, October 3, 2008

10-3-08: Do I Feel Bad for Cubs Fans?

The Cubs are now down 2-0 in their NLDS series with the Dodgers (yes, the same Dodgers I picked to win that series). No, the Cubs are not out of it yet. Coming back from an 0-2 start in a best of 5 game series is not as unlikely as coming back from an 0-3 hole, but when you lose the first two at home and have to win both games away, it's tough.

The real question, as a Red Sox fan, is whether I feel bad for Cubs fans in general for their 99 year World Series drought. If the Cubs lose Game 3 in LA, it will be 100 years. In essence, I don't feel bad for them. I don't feel good about them losing, either. I just think it's not quite as much of a curse as some fans think. They haven't been to a World Series since 1945 (the beginning of the so-called "Billy Goat Curse"), so it's not like other teams who have come so close but lost in the big game. The Cubs simply haven't been good enough.

That is, until this year, when a lot of fans hoped they'd have their big year. It's not out of reach yet; they can come back in LA and win it at home. But, if they do lose, is the curse now real? When everything is pointing towards success (best team in the National League coming in to the playoffs; 100 year anniversary since their last championship, etc.) and you don't come through, who or what is to blame? I'm not sure, but until the Cubs make it to the World Series and lose, or make a monumental collapse in September, I really don't think I can feel all that bad for fans.

But, if they do come back and somehow beat the superior American League and win it all, good for them.

No comments: