Tuesday, March 9, 2010

3-9-10: A Great Ski Season

The ski season ended strongly with the On Snow Winter Carnival at Mount Snow this past weekend. It was three days of skiing in the sun. The weather: perfect. The conditions: not bad. I was able to get in a ton of runs on Friday with a relatively empty mountain. Saturday was much, much busier (the second busiest day of the season apparently). Sunday was right in the middle as far as crowds went.

On Snow is an annual event put on by the Connecticut Ski Council. It has been held at various mountains around New England over the years. The festivities include races of all sorts, volleyball, Tug of War, and general social well-being. The dinner on Saturday, held at the Grand Summit Hotel, was attended by over 200 people from the various ski clubs throughout Connecticut. My club, Hamden, was very well represented.

As usual, I spent most of the weekend skiing on my own, while the lady and the others were involved in both Super G and GS races on Friday and Saturday. I stuck to the blue runs, which were quite fun. My first experience at Mount Snow was back in early January, and was probably one of my least favorite trips of the entire season. It was snowy, and very crowded. This weekend more than made up for that, and I honestly hope next year's On Snow is held there again.

We stayed at a lovely establishment called the Inn at Quail Run in nearby Wilmington, about a 10 minute drive from the mountain. There were about 20 of us staying there from the club, and it was very pleasant. Full kitchen, bar area, pool table (big plus for me), and the rooms were very nice. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

The skiing also went very well. I stayed mostly on the main face, but did spend some time over at Sunbrook. Most of the mountain (73% in fact) consists of blue runs, which is perfect for me. I really enjoyed the following trails: Ridge, Snowdance, Thanks Walt, and Lodge. Nice wide cruisers. The lady and I worked on some edging drills, but what worked best: Follow the Leader. It had worked for her brother, who had also skiied using the "hockey stop" technique, which consists of more "Z" than "S" turns. So, we gave it a try, and I followed in her tracks, and felt (and apparently looked) much better. I think we'll try that again next season.

I have to say, I had a lot of fun this season. I'm really looking forward to next year. The goal: be on the blacks by March 2011. I think I can do it.

No comments: