Tuesday, March 16, 2010

3-16-10: Glorious Guacamole

I’m a big fan of good guacamole. My family has always been avid Mexican food enthusiasts, and, whenever possible, my mother would make some of the delicious dip. I’ve been on a bit of a avocado binge for the last few weeks, so last night I decided to try my hand at some home-made guacamole.

It was all I hoped for, and possibly more, and it was unbelievably easy! I followed the first recipe I found on Google, with only a couple alterations. I didn’t feel like springing for Cilantro, which I guess might make a minor difference in consistency, but I didn’t find it to be a major difference from what I was used to. I also bought a fresh lemon rather than lemon juice.

The ingredients I used were:


Two avocados (ripe when soft!)

½ red onion

1 small tomato-on-the-vine (rather than ½ a larger ripe one)

½ lemon

½ tbsp Chili powder

Dash of salt and pepper


The process is very easy. All you need are: a mixing bowl, a spoon, sharp knife, cutting board, and a large fork. You could also use a large mortar and pestle if you want to feel more traditional. It should take you, in total, about 10-15 minutes. I think I spent $8 on all ingredients.

Here are the steps:

1. Cut each avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the large seed in the middle. Use the spoon to scoop out the green goodness into the mixing bowl.

2. Dice the ½ red onion.

3. Cut the lemon in half

4. Dice the small tomato

5. Mash up the avocados with the large fork. Once they are sufficiently mashed into the familiar guacamole consistency, add the diced ½ red onion.

6. Squeeze the lemon out into the mix, continue mashing

7. Add the salt, pepper, and Chili powder

8. Add the diced tomato and mix.

9. DONE. Serve with tortilla chips. Serves 2-3 people.

Thanks go to Simply Recipes for the easy to follow recipe.

No comments: