Wednesday, March 24, 2010

3-24-10: Oddly Enough I Actually Like Cornell

My uncle taught at Cornell for several years, and whenever I would visit my aunt and uncle in Ithaca as a kid, I always loved visiting the Cornell campus. I even considered applying there in high school, but things worked out differently when I got into WPI. But, throughout my life, I have always liked Cornell.

But sports are a different animal, and I’m finding myself rooting against Big Red this weekend in two NCAA tournament match-ups.

First and foremost, for me, is Men’s Ice Hockey. Cornell is taking on my favorite team in hockey, the UNH Wildcats, in the East Regional in Albany. Cornell is the favorite in that matchup, and they have more of a home ice advantage. The fact that UNH got knocked out rather early from the Hockey East Tournament gives me even more reservations for their success. Still, I want UNH to move on.

Regarding the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, it’s a matter of brackets. I’m doing one bracket this year, and my bracket has Kentucky winning it all. The near “Cinderella story” Cornell just so happens to be playing against Kentucky (in Syracuse, giving them home court advantage – two sports?!). This one is simply selling whatever loyalty I had to Cornell, which was none, for $5. Sorry, Big Red, but I have you going down in that match-up.

No comments: