Saturday, July 25, 2009

7-25-09: UPDATE: Catching the Cycling Fever

A couple weeks ago, I began my journey back into bicycling after years of laziness off the road. It still has a bit to go before it's finished, but today I took a pretty big step. I brought my bike over to my buddy Scott's place this morning to let him give it a once over to see what needed to be done for it to be road-ready. Scott is a very experienced amateur cyclist, with many races under his belt in both the mountain biking and Cyclo-cross circuits. I trust his expertise in anything related to bicycling.

Well, lucky for me, the bike was in better shape than anticipated. Nothing needed replacing except for the two tires, which I wanted to swap out for new, road tires anyway. The chain just needed a little lubrication, and the spokes needed tightening in some places. Other than that: it's just dusty. One trip to the bike shop to get myself a new Giro helmet, and I was good to go. We even got to see the end of today's stage of the Tour de France.

Good stuff. Can't wait to take it on the road, probably this afternoon after I pound out some homework. I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks, Scotty.

No comments: