Tuesday, June 30, 2009

6-30-09: Connecticut Post: Illegals hired at Senor Pancho's

I read an article today in the Connecticut Post that creates a personal connection for me and the topic of illegal immigration.

In principle, I completely agree with the law. Employers should be required to hire only legal immigrants. But this time around, it feels weird. My family had gone (until my parents moved a few months ago to North Carolina) to Senor Pancho's in Monroe literally hundreds of times. It is my father's favorite restaurant on Earth. We became very friendly with the owners, including Andy Adames, who admitted to hiring illegal immigrants today.

This isn't something completely shocking to the regular customer. Several months ago, the restaurant was purged of several employees who had questionable to blatantly illegal status in this country. The business suffered for a while because of the severe drop in staff (well over 15 employees in total incuding the other locations), but began to recover slowly. The trial was pending. It was only a matter of time.

What I think is odd, among all things, is that there has been a more substantial crack down in illegal immigration since Obama came into office. It's a bit unexpected. I'm not saying I disagree with it. I'm just saying it's not normal to see a Democrat that's more hard line than a Republican. But then again, this also might be decisions made by the Bush Administration that are beginning to take a stronger effect; Obama really hasn't been in office all that long. I'm not sure, but I feel genuinely sorry for Andy Adames. I have a gift certificate from last year's Senor Pancho's Golf Classic for a free round of golf with him. I think I'll hold on to it for a while.

Best of luck, Andy.

No comments: