Monday, February 23, 2009

2-23-09: Hockey Monday: Hockey East Tournament

I've been a University of New Hampshire ice hockey fan for over 20 years now. I lived in Durham for about nine years as a child, and just loved going to games. Things have changed quite a bit since those times at Snively Arena; good memories of loud students chanting on bleachers and cheap food. Nowadays, at The Whittemore Center, food isn't as cheap, and every one wears UNH jerseys and brings thunder sticks. What happened?!

Anyway, UNH plays in Hockey East, which is, in my opinion, the best conference in all of men's Division I college ice hockey. It contains defending national champions Boston College (who are now tied for sixth in Hockey East and are likely not to repeat), Boston University (top ranked school in the nation), Northeastern University (ranked fourth), and my beloved UNH Wildcats, who are currently ranked 12th in the nation.

UNH helped its cause this weekend by sweeping a home-and-home series against BC, which was a joy to watch. Friday night's game, a nerve-wracking affair, was televised on NESN. I waited until Saturday to watch it on my new big-screen TV (that I got because my parents are moving); thank God for my DVR... Good game, and I was obviously heartbroken to see BC lose...

Right now UNH is ranked third in Hockey East along with Vermont, and are hoping to stay there to obtain a home ice advantage for the Hockey East Playoffs, which begin March 12th; the top eight (of ten) teams make the playoffs. UNH last won the tournament back in 2003 by beating Boston University 1-0 in overtime. I hope they can pull off something special this year. Can't wait to see it.

No comments: