Saturday, April 12, 2008

4-12-08: Broadwater

Is it just me, or is it odd that something the size of the Queen Mary 2 that's supposed to go into the middle of the Long Island Sound (on a permanent basis) gets little press coverage until it's blasted by two governors?

That's basically what happened with a project known as Broadwater, which was a proposal to install a floating liquefied natural gas terminal in the middle of the Long Island Sound. I don't know how long this was in the works, but it's just funny that I'd never heard of it before. Maybe I should pay more attention.

But the other thing is that it was opposed by both the governors of Connecticut and New York. I guess it was supposed to save money on heating bills, too. When the bill comes in a couple years, you'll know who to thank. I know it's probably not the best idea to have something like that just floating around for people to bomb, but don't you think some one would've thought of that beforehand? There's also the environmental concern, which was apparently also addressed. I'm not going to form a solid opinion on this yet, though. I'd like to see how the appeal process works out. It should be interesting.

No comments: