Sunday, October 31, 2010

10-31-10: Southern CT College Hockey 2010-2011 Games to Watch

College ice hockey has been a passion of mine since my childhood growing up in Durham, New Hampshire, the home of the University of New Hampshire Wildcats athletic program. When I moved to southern Connecticut in the fifth grade, I was worried I’d never see good college hockey again. Fortunately, there was a plethora of good, Division 1 programs to choose from. Nothing quite as good as UNH hockey because Hockey East does not have any Connecticut-based teams, but still decent hockey.

The four teams nearby were Yale (ECAC), Fairfield (MAAC), Sacred Heart (Atlantic Hockey), and Quinnipiac (ECAC). Fairfield U no longer has a men’s ice hockey program (though, according to something I got from Yale after buying tickets, Fairfield U is co-hosting the NCAA Men’s Ice Hockey East Regional). Yale and Quinnipiac have gotten better over the years. Sacred Heart has mostly survived in a weaker conference, and have the smallest venue of all the area teams.

Since I now live in New Haven, I am hoping to see a few Yale games this season. I went to a few good ones last year, and Yale had a good year. Quinnipiac has a new rink as of a couple seasons ago, but I didn’t see any games there last season.


Here are some of the highlights:


11/5/10: Yale vs. Princeton (I am attending)

11/20/10: Quinnipiac vs. Harvard

12/3/10: Yale vs. RPI

12/8/10: Yale vs. Vermont

1/3/11: Sacred Heart vs. St. Lawrence

2/4/11: Yale vs. Harvard

2/4/11: Quinnipiac vs. RPI

2/26/11: Yale vs. Cornell

No comments: