Thursday, July 15, 2010

7-15-10: Saved Locations in Google Calendar

I use Google Calendar every single day. It helps me plan my life like nothing else. I even add things I just did to my Google Calendar so I can search for them later to remember the last time I went to a certain place or did something (like a haircut). It's something I consider to be an essential tool in planning my life.

The selling point for Google products is interoperability and compatibility. You can share things so easily with different Google products like Documents or Youtube or Gmail. "Plugged in" users can lead very respectable, and organized, lives through Google tools. This very blog is through Google.

One thing I wish Google Calendar had, though, is the ability to add a saved location. I have a lot of events that take place at the same location at pretty regular frequencies. It would be nice if I didn't have to type out the full address every time. It would be much better to have an auto-complete or suggestion capability (e.g. when you begin typing a search into Google it gives you suggestions).

Google Maps already has this feature (in GWT it's called a "Suggest Box"), so why not Google Calendar? Each account has its own set of saved locations already. It's not a make or break thing for me, since I've been using the products for years, but it is well within Google to make this happen.

No comments: