Saturday, January 16, 2010

1-16-10: Avatar (in 3D)

Last night the lady and I, and my buddy Dan, went to see Avatar in 3D. We ended up seeing it at Seymour Cinemas, which is a smaller, older theatre about 10 minutes away that I'd never been to. Not a bad spot, especially since it was a couple bucks cheaper than Milford.

Overall I enjoyed the film, but 90% of my enjoyment centered around the visual effects. It's absolutely stunning, groundbreaking, and breathtaking at times. I definitely enjoyed the 3D elements, especially since they weren't at all gimmicky. I was half expecting to see something like they do down in Disney World with "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" or "The Muppets" show in 3D, with stuff flying out of the screen at your face. Instead, the 3D added the element of depth to the shot, which really added to the film in a way I've never seen before.

On the other hand, the story was nothing spectacular. It's something you've probably seen time and time again (a friend said it felt like Dancing with Wolves meets Return of the Jedi - with the Ewoks, which I tend to agree with). But overall it didn't really hurt the film, though they packed a lot of story into it. You knew generally what was coming, so it gave you time to enjoy the absolutely fantastic visual effects, which were never cheesy. James Cameron definitely put the time in to making the film look great, and I commend him. Can't wait to see what he comes out with next.

In summary, Avatar (in 3D) is visually stunning, but the "green" theme is so prevalent that they even go so far as to recycle story lines. Still, I'd strongly recommend seeing it, in 3D, in theatres.

No comments: