Saturday, October 20, 2012

Nissan's New "Steer By Wire" Technology

Before watching the video, I wasn't sure what Nissan was trying to accomplish. I didn't know of any market demand for this technology. After viewing the video and learning of the "smooth ride" capabilities, I was hooked. I can't wait for this to arrive in all cars.

I'm assuming the clutch also serves as the mechanical back-up in the event of a loss of power to the control units; the video seems to state that. That would be a major concern from a safety standpoint.

This also plays right into my dream of driverless cars. With this new system, all you'd need to do to make the vehicle driverless (assuming you completely remove the human driver) is ditch the steering wheel and clutch and plug the control unit into a master vehicle controller, which would also control throttle and brake. No more goofy actuators on the steering wheel; full-authority steering! 

No comments: