Monday, July 28, 2008

7-28-08: Congressman Christopher Shays on the Passenger Rail Investment Improvement Act

Here is an e-mail I got from Congressman Christopher Shays, who is my congressional representative. Overall, I think he's doing a decent job. This particular e-mail was in regard to H.R. 6003, which was the Passenger Rail Investment Improvement Act. I agree with his stance on the issue.

I just think it's interesting that he mentioned how 9/11 made us re-consider the breadth of our transportation options. I hadn't thought of that aspect. I just like taking trains!




---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Congressman Christopher Shays <Rep.Shays@mail.house.gov>
Date: Mon, Jul 28, 2008
Subject: Congressman Christopher Shays




July 28, 2008



Dear Patrick:                           

Thank you for your e-mail of June 12 inquiring about my position on H.R. 6003, the Passenger Rail Investment Improvement Act.  I appreciate you taking the time to contact me.

I voted for H.R. 6003 when it passed the House on June 11, 2008 by a vote of 311 to 104.  The bill authorizes $14.4 billion in funding for Amtrak over five years for capital and operating grants, state intercity passenger grants, and high speed rail. 

It seems to me Amtrak hasn't succeeded because it is underfunded, its lines serve too many areas which don't need service, and its customer service is poor.  I am pleased this bill addresses Amtrak's funding needs by providing adequate funding for capital improvements and operations.

H.R. 6003 also requires the Administrator of the Federal Railroad Administration and Amtrak to develop and improve metrics and minimum standards for measuring the performance and service quality of intercity passenger train operations.  I believe we must tie federal support for Amtrak to reforms while simultaneously evaluating unprofitable lines across the country.

The bottom line for me is we can't afford for our nations' rail service to fail.  Our economy depends on it, and the September 11th terrorist attacks made clear that our country can't rely on one mode of transportation.  Additionally, making passenger rail a viable option for commuters will get cars off our congested highways, reduce the stress on our aging roads and decrease oil consumption.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office again.  If you would be interested in receiving my e-newsletter to update you about my work on your behalf in Washington, or for other information, please visit my website at www.house.gov/shays to sign up or to contact me.


Sincerely,

Christopher Shays
Member of Congress


CS:khb

I cannot guarantee the integrity of the text of this letter if it was not sent to you directly from my Congressional Email Account: rep.shays@mail.house.gov.  If you have any questions about the validity of this message, please email me or call my Washington, DC office at: 202/225-5541.

No comments: